Industrial Port Zone
It is an industrial zone close to port services that offers highly advantageous financial programs to companies. The zone’s proximity to the port also provides benefits in terms of access to inputs and effective distribution of goods to North American and international markets.
The Industrial Port Zone of Trois-Rivières offers more +
When choosing a location for a business or subsidiary, you need to carefully assess all of the geographical, technological and economic considerations, as well as environmental and human factors. It’s TRès important
In making a choice, it’s essential to compare not just the advantages of the industrial port zones of each city in the running, but also the quality of life you can offer your employees and collaborators. It’s TRès fundamental
In short, the Industrial Port Zone of Trois-Rivières provides the best opportunities for your business in North America. It’s a choice that’s TRès intelligent
To make an informed decision, be sure to look at all the advantages the Industrial Port Zone of Trois-Rivières has to offer.
You’ll see, it’s TRès smart
+ More access to markets in Canada and the Northeastern U.S.
Trois-Rivières is by far Quebec’s best-kept secret. Not only is it located midway between Montreal (the metropolis) and Quebec City (the capital), it’s also the natural gateway to northeastern North America. For example, you save 550 km between Rotterdam (Netherlands) and Chicago (USA) by shipping via Trois-Rivières (Canada) rather than New York (USA). It takes 14 days to ship from Rotterdam to Trois-Rivières but 16.3 days to travel to New York and 15.4 days to Boston.
+ More flexible port facilities
The Port of Trois-Rivières provides tailored solutions for the transhipment of bulk products and general cargo. A rapidly expanding strategic port, open year round, it receives 200 ships per year, handling a total of 3 million metric tonnes of cargo.
The Port of Trois-Rivières has an average water depth ranging from 11.5 to 12.4 metres, depending on the season, which allows it to accommodate high-tonnage ocean-going vessels. The port is linked to the rest of North America through excellent railway and road connections. It also offers nine commercial wharf sections, three general cargo warehouses, eight solid bulk warehouses, two tank farms as well as grain elevators, outdoor storage areas and two harbour cranes.
The port has a surface area of 457,000 M2
- 70,000 m2
- 2 berths
- Elevators and tanks that can hold more than 215,000 tonnes of grain, calcined coke and alumina
- 110,000 m2
- 5 berths
- 3 general cargo warehouses : Total of 18,000 m2
- 58,000 m2 of outdoor storage
Solid and liquid bulk terminal
- 220,000 m2
- 2 berths
- 8 warehouses for solid bulk with a total area of 28,000 m2
- Tanks that can hold up to 250,000 m3 of liquid bulk
- 74,000 m2 outdoor storage
- 2 mobile harbour cranes with 60- and 100-ton capacities
+ More intermodality
Trois-Rivières (and its industrial port zone) is clearly the best entry point for doing business in northeastern North America. Trois-Rivières is an intermodal city that is unique in the world because it offers all possible means of transportation within a radius of 15 km (9 miles): marine, rail, air and road. Trois-Rivières gives you the fastest access to the rest of Quebec, Ontario and all of northeastern North America. Here, the traffic flows smoothly. We have no congestion!
In its capacity as a major gateway for international trade, the Port of Trois-Rivières has recently completed several projects that are part of On Course for 2020, a strategic plan requiring the investment of more than $132 million. This unprecedented modernization included the addition of new exterior storage areas, new hangars, the refurbishment and addition of new berths as well as increased rail infrastructure.
- Agriculture & Agri-food
- Shipping agencies
- Fresh water
- Waste collection
- Value-Added Services
+ More qualified workforce
Greater Trois-Rivières has more than 125,000 workers within a 25-km (15.5 miles) radius—people who love to see a job well done and are proud to be part of the region’s growth.
And the next generation has access to complete training that matches the demands of professional life:
- a university attended by 14,500 students per year that offers 280 programs, 40 of them exclusive to Quebec and the specific needs of local industry;
- two colleges and two vocational training centres renowned for training fully qualified employees to meet your needs.
Each year, these schools train a host of graduates in civil, mechanical, industrial and metallurgical engineering, as well as medicine, electronics and industrial electronics, industrial maintenance, construction trades, mechanics, computer science and aeronautics.
Innovation as a driver of development
With its three research centres in advanced technology and sustainable development, in addition to 60 university chairs, Trois-Rivières has become an ideal place for research and development (R&D).
Added to this are many IT companies always on the lookout for innovative solutions to take business to the next level.
+ More tax and financial advantages
Trois-Rivières offers numerous implementation programs and a host of incentives and tax advantages to facilitate the establishment of your company in our region. Quebec has one of the lowest corporate tax rates in North America and one of the most stable, abundant and affordable renewable energy sources in the world. In addition, according to Forbes and Bloomberg, Canada has the strongest banking system in the world and is the best G20 country in which to do business. Beyond that, Trois-Rivières has been named the second-best city in Quebec for its entrepreneurial policies (CFIB, 2015).
+ More than $1 billion for investment projects
Quebec government financial assistance and financing programs for the development of the Industrial Port Zone of Trois-Rivières.
The Centre-du-Québec and Mauricie Economic Diversification Fund
Fund dedicated specifically to the Mauricie and Centre-du-Québec region
- Foster the start-up and development of business projects
- Develop new forward-looking industries
- Diversify the economy through loans and non-repayable financial assistance that is favourable to investors
Capital Logistique Québec
Projects related to logistics hubs or the maritime economy
- Carry out logistical infrastructure projects related to the maritime economy or logistics hubs
- Funds available in the form of minority shareholdings in companies operated by a corporation or limited partnership
Fund to support industrial projects in industrial port zones
- Support investment projects in Quebec undertaken by companies from Quebec or elsewhere aimed at increasing competitiveness and productivity, as well as creating jobs and fostering sustainable development
- Innovate through projects by companies in the manufacturing, digital or tertiary sectors
- Concrete financial assistance to cover costs related to the implementation of a project
Programme de soutien aux investissements dans les infrastructures de transport maritime (PSIITM)
For freight and passenger transportation
- Financial assistance installments in the form of subsidies that may be paid over 20 years
- Maintain, integrate and develop maritime transportation activities and modes
- Develop quality industrial port zones and ensure safety
+ More available land
The Industrial Port Zone of Trois-Rivières has more than 317 hectares of available land (more than 3.1 M square meters). Land ready for construction within a radius of 1 to 15 km (9 miles) of downtown Trois-Rivières and the port.
- The city is ranked number one in northeastern Canada and the U.S. for low implementation and operating costs (KPMG, 2012).
- Trois-Rivières is ranked the sixth most affordable city in Canada for establishing a business (Profit Guide, 2015).
+ More quality of life
Trois-Rivières is known for its outstanding quality of life. It’s a city that has remained on a human scale, where the cost of living is one of the lowest in Canada. With its proximity to nature and sports facilities, Trois-Rivières is an ideal city for families and anyone who loves sports and the outdoors. Within just a few kilometres, Trois-Rivières offers access to skating, tennis, golf, soccer, 150 km (93 miles) of bike paths, kayaking on the Saint-Maurice River and a beach on Saint-Quentin Island (less than seven minutes from downtown).
Trois-Rivières is a leading cultural city with its Maison de la Culture, the magnificent Salle J.-Antonio-Thompson, and the 9,000-seat Cogeco Amphitheatre on the banks of the St. Lawrence River, where the Cirque du Soleil presents exclusive performances every year. We get together for the Festival International DansEncore, the Grand Prix de Trois-Rivières (FIA World Rallycross and NASCAR races), the Festival International de la Poésie, as well as magnificent concerts by the Orchestre Symphonique de Trois-Rivières. The city is a whirlwind of activities.